School History

The Washington School for Girls was originally founded under the name Washington Middle School for Girls. Below is a timeline of the school's growth since 1995. 

 

1995-1996: A small group of women began meeting to discuss the urgent need of education for young girls living in the Anacostia area of Washington, DC. That group included representatives from the National Council of Negro Women, the Religious of Jesus and Mary, and the Society for the Holy Child Jesus.

 

September 1997: WMSG began an after-school tutoring and enrichment program for fourth and fifth grade girls in Anacostia.

 

September 1998: WMSG opened as a full-day program for grades five and six.

 

September 1999: Students advanced into sixth and seventh grades.

 

School Year 2000-01: WMSG enrolled students in three grades, sixth through eighth; The school moved to larger quarters at the Washington View Apartments, also in Anacostia; The first eighth grade class graduated from WMSG. All of our alumnae remain connected to the school through its high school support program.

 

September 2001: WMSG accepted students for a full, four-year middle school program.

 

September 2002: Cooperative relationships with several local institutions, including the Levine School of Music, the Washington Ballet, and the Washington School of Psychiatry, helped broaden and enhance educational opportunities for WMSG students.

 

September 2004: WMSG completes a major effort to reevaluate and revise school curriculum and to expand and improve student and family services, resulting in the School Improvement Plan.

 

September 2005: Opening of WMSG at THEARC (sixth, seventh, eighth grades). Initiation of a new fourth and fifth grade program in current location at Washington View.

 

September 2006-2008: Continued growth of two campuses. New initiatives in the Extended Day Program and Parent Involvement. Selected by the Catalogue for Philanthropy as one of the DC Area’s best small charities.

 

December 2009: Journalist Mary Clare Fluery features WMSG in the Washingtonian Magazine in an article titled “No Excuses.”

 

April 2009: WMSG is selected by Fight For Children to receive the “Quality Schools Initiative Award” for innovative and effective programs. The Washington Area Women’s Foundation selects WMSG for the 2009 Leadership Award because of its work to change the lives of women and girls through the Extended Day Program.

 

June 2011: WMSG celebrates its 10th graduating eighth grade class.

 

April 2012: WMSG gains accreditation through the Middle States Association of Schools and Colleges.

 

August 2013: WMSG relocates The VIEW Campus to Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish.

 

February 2014: WMSG officially changes its name to the Washington School for Girls (WSG)

‚Äč

July 2015: The first 3rd grade students in the school's history begin the innovative year-round academic program

Washington School for Girls

THEARC Campus / 1901 Mississippi Avenue, SE, Washington, DC 20020 / Phone: 202-678-1113 / Fax: 202-678-1114

The VIEW Campus / 1604 Morris Road SE, Washington, DC 20020 / Phone: 202-678-1714 / Fax: 202-678-5422

EIN: 52-2031849